Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mixture

Mixture always reminds me of diwali. I bet you can never find a south indian sweet meat shop without this item ..I remember my mom making mixture in a big thooku(traditional box) a week before diwali. I would eat them as soon as I come from school. I would be waiting for my mom to finish the sweets . I would be the first to taste them. I miss all those sweets and kaaram made by my mom. Now I try to make them as she would so that I could pass on the tradition to my little daughter. This time she was waiting for me to finish them and ofcourse she tasted them and said Mommy It is yummy... She made my day.. Now let me go to the recipe.......

Ingredients
Gram flour(Besan)- 3 cups 
Rice flour - half a cup
Chilli powder- as per your taste
Curry leaves- few 
Raw peanuts- 1/2 cup  
Roasted chana(pottukadalai)- 1/2 cup  
Rice flakes (Aval)- 1/4 cup 
Salt- to taste 
Oil- to deep fry


Preparation 
My mixture consists of Boondi, Ompodi, Kaarasevai and Ribbon murukku. I would give the detailed method to make each of these. 
To make boondi 
Mix besan with water. The consistency should be similar to dosa batter. Add a pinch of salt and chilli powder to this. Now heat the oil and keep it in medium. Now use a wide spatula with holes to make the boondi. Keep the spatula on the top of the oil and  pour the batter on the top of the spatula . Now the batter would seep in and you can see tiny little boondi falling into the oil. Take them when they are crisp and keep it aside. 
 
To make Ompodi, Kaarasevai and Ribbon murukku I have used the same dough. Its just that the different shapes give them a different taste. 

For the dough add 2 cups of besan flour and 1/4 cup of rice flour. Add 2-3 tbsp of the hot oil . Add chilli powder and salt as per your taste. Now add water and make it into a dough. Use the murukku press and the relevant shapes to make ompodi, kaarasevai and ribbon.  After you make the ompodi and ribbon crush them  into medium pieces. I have used the murukku mould for making the karasev and then crushed it.

Now fry the peanuts and chana dal in the oil and keep them aside. Fry the riceflakes and curry leaves too.
Mix everything together. Add a little bit of salt, chilli powder and a pinch of sugar and toss it well. 
Misture is ready... Have a fabulous diwali...

No comments:

Post a Comment